General Information on the position
– Place of work: Tokyo
– Working time: 40 hours per week (Full time)
– Beginning of employment: Negotiable
– Salary: depending on experience and confirmed skills
– One year contract(3-5 years) to open ended contract
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission, the Programme Officer for Cooperation with the Japanese Red Cross Society (JRCS) and Academic Circles assists the ICRC Mission in Tokyo in developing joint ICRC-JRCS programs, ensures a regular liaison between JRCS and other components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (RC/RC Movement) relevant to the work of ICRC Mission in Tokyo. s/he contributes to the promotion of, and respect for, International Humanitarian Law (IHL), humanitarian principles, and RC/RC Movement among the academic circles.
Minimum required knowledge & experience:
– University degree or equivalent.
– Work experience and knowledge in International Relations, humanitarian activities, International Humanitarian Law, or equivalent. Previous experience of working for an international organization and in project management is an advantage.
– Proven skills to develop and maintain contacts, lobby and network with a wide range of individuals and institutions.
– Strong organizational and planning skills, ability to set priorities, respect deadlines.
– Flexibility and capacity to work under pressure and to face to unforeseen and urgent situations.
– Capacity to work autonomously and in a multi-disciplinary team simultaneously.
– Sense of responsibility, perseverance, and patience.
– Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; native Japanese speaker and fluent in English. Knowledge of other languages is an advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Programme Officer for Cooperation with the JRCS and Academic Circles:
– Maintains a permanent contact with all departments of the JRCS relevant to the ICRC’s activities, at national HQ and Chapters levels. Is aware of the priorities of the JRCS and ensures the latter is informed of ICRC priorities and programs relevant to them.
– Identifies and proposes opportunities to develop or strengthen common ICRC-JRCS objectives and activities, and ensures the smooth implementation of joint programs or projects.
– Coordinates with the JRCS to promote humanitarian issues and values, IHL and the RC/RC Movement principles and action, and provides support to the JRCS’ IHL teaching activities.
– Identifies and develops a network with key academic institutions in Japan to increase IHL promotion and teaching in or by Universities and other high degree schools and to help establish the ICRC as the reference organization on IHL and humanitarian issues.
– Makes presentations or speeches on the ICRC and RC/RC Movement mandate, activities, principles and working modalities to JRCS, academic circles and other publics as relevant.
– Organizes, manages or participates in ICRC events (conferences, seminars, etc.) and bilateral meetings, which involves notably research work, writing articles or speeches, and reporting.
– Ensures a smooth coordination and communication with other departments of ICRC Tokyo Mission and in Geneva for all issues in relation to cooperation with the JRCS and RC/RC Movement, and with the Academic circles.
– Advises ICRC Tokyo Mission Head of Communication in developing JRCS-ICRC joint or coordinated communication strategies and activities.
– Manages the budget associated to the ICRC Tokyo Mission’s objectives in Cooperation with the JRCS and RC/RC Movement, and with academic circles, in accordance with the ICRC rules and regulations.
– Respects the mandate of the ICRC and the principles the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.
– Knows the general objectives and activities of ICRC in Japan and worldwide.
– Adheres to applicable ICRC security rules and staff regulations.
– May be asked to perform duties and task not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
How to apply
Please send your documents to email@example.com by 06 March 2016.
– CV (Japanese, English)
– Motivation letter (A4, English & Japanese)
– The recruitment will finish as soon as a suitable person for this position is found