ICRC Delegation in Japan is looking for a talented intern, who will support its work and carry out various assignments related to disseminating and promoting respect for IHL, including assisting preparation of events and meetings and carrying out research on specific thematic issues related to IHL.
This position is responsible:
* To contribute to the thematic and operational priorities of the Japan Delegation;
* To help the ICRC Delegation in Japan meet its objectives and carry out its activities in relation to dissemination of IHL;
* To contribute to enhanced understanding of IHL and Neutral, Impartial and Independent Humanitarian Action, both, among interlocutors and within the humanitarian sector;
* To open new networking possibilities via the intern.
* Supports the Delegation in Japan for IHL implementation and dissemination measures, including but not limited to:
– Provides assistance to the Delegation in Japan in dissemination and promotion of IHL to the authorities, academic circles, and in engaging with the business actors;
– Provides support in organizing events (i.e. IHL role play and moot court competitions, regional meeting with authorities, workshop on thematic issues etc.) both content-wise as well as with administration and logistics;
– Assists in development of alumni network of participants to IHL competitions.
– Provides contribution to the delegation’s communication platform on event reports when necessary.
– Produces a report on issues related to humanitarian actions of interest to the Delegation.
* Assists Regional Legal Adviser for Southeast Asia in IHL events such as preparation and follow up to the regional IHL conference and thematic legal workshop in Asia Pacific.
* Keeps abreast of the development in Japan and the region on the matters related to IHL and other thematic issues of priorities to the Delegation (e.g. cyber warfare, weapons and new technologies in warfare, climate change and conflict, human rights, digital transformation in humanitarian action etc.) through web-based research, attending internal/external seminars/events, or other relevant means.
* Understands the composition, roles, and functions of the different members of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
* Applies the ICRC’s Code of Conduct and Security Rules at all times.
* Performs all activities with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
* Subject to approval of his/her direct supervisor and for the purpose of exposure, the intern may also support other units in the Delegation when necessary.
* Performs other tasks when necessary.
Required knowledge & experience
* Final year of a bachelor’s degree program or higher;
* Demonstrable strong knowledge of IHL;
* Excellent oral and written English
Preferred skills & experience
* A university degree in law or international relations or a master’s degree in international law
* Fluent oral and written Japanese
* Experience of participation in IHL Moot Court/Role Play Competitions as oralists or researchers, and/or support organization of the Competitions
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating and inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
4 September 2023 (negotiable)
Selection will proceed as follows;
a). Application documents screening
b). 1st phase interview and written test / assignment
c). 2nd phase interview and panel screening
※ additional procedure can be applied depending on the results.
※ Candidates who passed each step will be contacted for next step.
• Required application documents (in Word or PDF format file, free format in A4);
1. Curriculum Vitae (English and Japanese)
2. Cover letter in English indicating motivation for applying to Legal Intern
3. Brief English writing sample
4. Diploma or ID Information (修了証or身分証明書)
※ Application documents shall be submitted from this web entry form only.
※ Insufficient documentation or late submission will not be accepted.
※ It is requested to specify your English skill level in this form.
• Inquiry about hiring condition, position, etc. can be asked by email ( tok_tokyo_Mailbox@icrc.org ). Please do not send application documents to this email account. Any application sent to this email will not be processed.
Due to the large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further. Applications are due 10 July. 2023.
10am to 6pm with 1 (one) hour lunch break
2-3 days per week
The exact working schedule of the intern will be decided based on discussion with his/her Supervisor.
number of position